title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Derby Arms

NAME DERBY ARMS
ADDRESS DERBY LANE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
? ? BARLEY MOW
1762 1863 BLACK MOOR'S HEAD
BLACKAMOOR'S HEAD
1863 c1868 DERBY ARMS
Presumably the name came from Derby Lane, but there was an Earl of Derby. Earl of Derby is a title in the Peerage of England. The title was first adopted by Robert de Ferrers, 1st Earl of Derby under a creation of 1139. It continued with the Ferrers family until the 6th Earl forfeited his property toward the end of the reign of Henry III and died in 1279. Most of the Ferrers property and, by a creation in 1337, the Derby title, were then held by the family of Henry III. The title merged in the Crown upon Henry IV's accession to the throne.

This pub was previously the BLACKAMOORS HEAD and is first mentioned as the DERBY ARMS in a directory of 1863. Around 1868 it was demolished to make way for the Gulson Library.
Known Licensees are;
1863 Elizabeth Stone
1866 Thomas Poultney
1868 William Holt

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.