title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Crown

map

Hawkesbury Lane at Tusses bridge over the Coventry canal

NAME CROWN
ADDRESS HAWKESBURY LANE, SOWE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES SOWE WEST
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1874 CROWN
1874 closure OLD CROWN INN, OLD CROWN HOTEL
Well over 500 pubs have this name, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for some six hundred years. It is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and easy to recognise whilst at the same time it demonstrates loyalty to the reigning monarch.

In a will of 1857 W. Pickard was named as the licensee of the Old Crown Inn. From 1879 the pub was always referred to as the Old Crown.
Known Licensees are;
1845 - 1866 Job Pickard
1874 William Holland
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.