|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||SOUTH SIDE OF BROADGATE, EARL STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1471||1670||LE CROWN, CROWN ( High Street / Broadgate / Earl Street )|
|1779||1779||BELL AND CROWN|
|1756||1824||GOLDEN HORSE INN ( Bayley Lane )|
|1828||1841||GOLDEN HORSE ( Earl Street )|
Well over 500 pubs have this name, reflecting the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for some six hundred years. It is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and easy to recognise whilst at the same time it demonstrates loyalty to the reigning monarch.
1623 T. Conisby
1632 T. Pywall
1655 William Cooke
1670 Elizabeth Cooke
1623 H. Bankes, J. Hill & Eleanor Hill ( wife )
1623 - 1632 Sir William Hopkins
1632 Jane Hopkins
1670 Sir R. Hopkins
1670 Sir J. Hales, A. Gibbons & M. Johnson
Dict PN Well over 500 pubs have this name, reflectong the popularity of an inn sign that has been used for some six hundred years. It is a simple visual symbol, easy to illustrate and easy to recognise whilst at the same time it demonstrates loyalty to the reigning monarch.
Source 7 Famous old inns of Coventry were the Crown in Broadgate....
Undated JA7 Bond or Bablake Men's Hospital
.....the said city, in the High Street, there called the Earl Street, against an inn called the Crown.
1471 JA33 BA/D/11/3/8 Cardinals Hat next to one called Le Crown in Broadgate.
1473 JA33 BA/D/11/3/10 Le Cardinals Hat Inn, Broadgate, lying between the prior's tenament called Le Crown and the draper John Ruyton's tenament.
1490 JA33 BA/D/11/3/18 A Broadgate messuage, lying between Le Crown and Richard Ruyton's land
2.6.1492 JA BA/D/11/321 Land between the Crown Inn and George Ruyton's house
JA Corp MS C202, Leet Book 386 .....the Crown in ' platea vocala Brodeyatys ' hard by Langley's Inn the Cardinals Hat in Earl Street.
1517 JA7 & 34 Greyfriars Hospital Charity
Will of William Pisford the elder, 1517.......being together in the Earl Street on the south side thereof between a tenament called the Crown on the west side and Little Park Street on the east side.
16th century JA9 During the reign of Edward VI ( 1547 - 1553 ) reference is made to two houses in Earl Street against the Crown
1528 News 88 Foundation deed of Ford's Hospital mentions the pub
1555 Poole P293 & JA34 Ref48 Two houses in Earl Street against the Crown let to T. Heynes, mercer, at the yearly rent of £ 2 0s 0d
Late 1500s P93 At the end of the working day, curfew was sung in the central churches at 8 p.m., the city gates were locked an hour later and by that time the lanterns which hung outside the doors of inns and the houses of the better off had to be extinguished.
Saturday, which was also payday for most people and the only day on which the working man could resort to an alehouse or, if he belonged to the right guild, to one of the city's more upmarket inns, like the Cardinal's Hat in Earl Street or the Crown in Broadgate.
1605 P120 ( Princess ) Elizabeth was moved, in the custody of Sir Thomas Holcroft, into Coventry. Here she lodged at Palace Yard, the sunstantial mansion owned by the staunchly Protestant Hopkins family in Earl Street.
On the night of 4 Novenber no more than a couple of hundred yards from Palace Yard Robert Wintour and another of the plotters, Stephen Littleton, were staying at the Bull Inn.
6.11.1602 JA130 Jarvis 1/B/3/10 Feoffment - Thomas Salter of Coventry, barber, and Sence, his wife, to Henry Breres of Coventry, alderman. Property, a messuage with the shops, cellars, appurtenances etc in Broadgate against the sign of the Crown consideration £ 45.
21.6.1623 JA120 CR 101/7/274 ( in Broadgate ) leased to W. Hopkins from H. Bankes and E. Hill for £ 200. Lately occupied by T. Conisby.
16.10.1623 JA132 PA101/7/274 In consideration of £ 200, Henry Bankes ( of Coventry, gent ), John Hill ( of Honiley, Warks, gent ) and Eleanor his wife charge to William Hopkins ( of Stoke, gent ) The Crown Inn on the south side of Broadgate, lately occupied by Thomas Conisby.
1625 JA Jervis ' The Crown on the south side ofBroadgate '
21.6.1632 CR 101/7/275 Now in High Street, occupied by T. Pywall. Sir W. Hopkins quits his interest to Jane Hopkyns
21.6.1632 JA132 PA85/5 Jane Hopkyns pays Sir William Hopkyns £ 200 for a house called the Sign of the Crowne in Coventry.
30.11.1655 Mayor Beake A warrant against Wm Cooke of the Crowne for tipling
19.12.1655 Mayor Beake I sate at Crowne about scandalous ministers
3.6.1670 CR 101/7/276 Conveyed from Sir R. Hopkins to Sir J. Hales, A Gibbons and M. Johnson as a marriage settlement of son, R. Hopkins to M. Johnson - now Rose and Crown occupied by Elizabeth Cook.
1687 P142 .... the Catholic James II ....... came to Coventry on 1 September 1687 ...... he opted to stay at Palace Yard, home of one of their leaders, Richard Hopkins.
1860's ACov P36 The Palace Yard, once known as the Crown House. The fifteenth century mansion built around a central courtyard belonged to the Hopkins family for over two hundred years. When the Palace Yard left the hands of the Hopkins family, it became many things including a school, a coaching inn....up to the 1930's the massive oak doors to the main courtyard bore the names of different coaches upon the painted panels from its days as an inn.
1910 COCIP P64 Illustration
The house left the Hopkins family in the 18th century and became an inn known as the Crown; it is said the large oak studded doors, which led into the yard, bore the inn's name and the coach arrival times. In the mid 19th century it became a builder's tard, a ribbon warehouse, etc., and generally fell into decay. This however was reversed in 1915 when craft-workers took over the building and gradually began a general restoration programme. By the time the craft workshop of Winnifred King was opened to the public in 1927 the building was back to its former glory. All looked well for the future unril the 14th Novemebr 1940 when Palace Yard was completely flattened by a single high explosive bomb.
1940 P229 Alongside St Michael's, the only cathedral to be destroyed by enemy action in the Secind World War, Coventry lost its central library and market hall, the new Owen Owen department store and the Kings Head Hotel, hundreds of shops and public buildings and sixteenth- century Palace Yard, one of the last reminders of its golden age.
1623 JA120 CR 101/7/274 T. Conisby.
1632 CR 101/7/275 T. Pywall.
1655 Mayor Beake Wm Cooke
1670 CR 101/7/276 Elizabeth Cook.
1623 JA120 CR 101/7/274 H. Bankes, J. Hill and Eleanor Hill ( wife )
1623 JA132 PA101/7/274 William Hopkins
1632 JA132 PA85/5 Sir William Hopkyns
1632 JA132 PA85/5 Jane Hopkyns
1670 CR 101/7/276 Sir R. Hopkins .
1670 CR 101/7/276 Sir J. Hales, A Gibbons and M. Johnson
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.