|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||ROSE AND CROWN|
|See the ROSE AND CROWN Hall Green
|Known Licensees are;
1841 - 1845 Joseph Marston
1850 Richard Stephens
1874 - 1880 Edward Chaplin
1888 - 1892 William Hnery Salmons
1895 - 1908 Mark Cotton
1908 Joseph Clarke
1909 - 1910 Elizabeth Clarke
1912 - 1918 John Valentine Clarke
1921 Alfred F. Thrasher
1922 William Phillip Parker
1924 Mrs. Laura Clarke
1929 - 1940 O. J. Docker
1960 and onwards William McCleary (see also at ROSE AND CROWN and GOLDEN EAGLE, Foleshill 1952 - 1960)
|This photo, taken in about 1906 by the Express Photo Co., is reproduced from "The Coventry we have lost" by Albert Smith and David Fry. It shows the original Rose & Crown at the junction of Bell Green Road and Hall Green Road, apparently taking delivery of ale. First mentioned in 1832 as the setting for an inquest into the death of a chap called Brown between 1871 and his death in 1884, the "Crown" was occupied by Edward Chaplin.
The building was replaced in 1958 with the current modern building set back further from the road.
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.