title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Crown and Anchor

bishop street
NAME CROWN AND ANCHOR
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1748 CROWN & ANCHOR
1774 1859 BULL AND ANCHOR INN, OLDE BULL & ANCHOR, BULL'S HEAD AND ANCHOR
1859 1860 RUTLAND ARMS
1861 1931 BULL'S HEAD AND ANCHOR
This is the badge of the Lord High Admiral and also the arm-badge of the Royal Navy's petty officers. Retired seamen who became licensees were fond of the name.

This appears on Bradford's map of Coventry dated 1748-1749. This later became the Bull and Anchor Inn.
Known Licensees are;
1790 William Hopkin
1800 Thomas Bant
1822 - 1829 George Whiting
1835 George Gent
1841 - 1845 Thomas Cooper
1850 - 1851 Thomas Townsend
1861 George Burnett
1868 H. Eaves
1868 Charles Conway
1871 Abraham Lucas
1874 John Hill
1879 Alfred John Harrison
1881 Henry Coles
1886 - 1893 J. Evans
1894 Selina Evans
1896 John Booth
1897 Will Ratliff
1903 Joseph McCarthy
1905 - 1919 James Lissaman
1921 - 1922 A. Cooper
1924 Percy Wyatt (proprietor - late of Kenilworth Castle Inn)
1926 - 1932 H. Dumbleton

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.