title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cross Guns

photo
NAME CROSS GUNS
ADDRESS BAYLEY LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HAY LANE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1693 ROYAL EXCHANGE
1756 1770 DOG and DUCK
1770 1773 CROSS GUNS
1773 present GOLDEN CROSS
In 1770 a Birmingham gunsmith acquired a public house at the corner of Bayley Lane and Hay Lane known as the DOG AND DUCK. He renamed it the CROSS GUNS. In 1773 he moved to Spon Street and the pub was renamed the GOLDEN CROSS. The CROSS GUNS is also mentioned in 1773 in the murder of John Pinchbeck.
;

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.