title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cross and Hand

NAME CROSS AND HAND
ADDRESS STIVICHALE LANE?
Cross Hands was originally a sign of unity and friendship. The Cross Hands at Cheltenham shows a highwayman with his hands crossed and a pistol in each. The Cross in Hands near Heathfield, East Sussex, dates from 1547 and is explained locally as a reference to Crusaders who met there on the way to Rye for embarkation to the Holy Land. Could the Cross and Hand refer to pilgrims to Coventry ?

This pub is referred to by Poole when he recounts the bounds of the parish of St. Michael's '.....so including all the park, and leaving Stivichale Field on the left-hand, so to the Cross and Hand near Stivichale Lane end ( the grove outside the War Memorial Park ).......'

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.