|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||EARL STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|The name of this pub comes from the Earls of Craven, who were local landowners, their seat being the nearby Coombe Abbey.
Until 1811 this was the White Bear, an Elizabethan building and a coaching inn, that is one of the places where Mails, Stage Coaches etc. changed horses. On 11th September that year, C. Handasyd and H. Wakefield advertised in the Coventry Herald that they had taken over and completely rebuilt what was previously the White Bear. To quote: 'families of the neighbourhood and others who have been absolutely driven from the house by the miserable manner in which the business has been done are respectfully informed the house is now conducted in a very superior style'. In changing the name the new proprietors were distancing themselves from the previous ones.
The hotel was the centre of many election conflicts as it was the Whig headquarters. Coventry's elections were conducted with such violence that ultimately it forfeited its status as a county.
In 1838 the will of Jacob Hart, who was H. M. Consul to the Court of Savoy, gave this property to his son, Davis Hart, to hold in trust for his son, Simon Hart.
In 1876 the Craven Arms was the meeting place of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire (Freemasons). Although the hotel was rebuilt in 1811, the stable block to the rear survived; it could accommodate up to forty horses. They remained until the whole site was remodelled in 1913.
In c1870 Walter Dan Claridge became the owner at what would have been the relatively young age of 24. Dan Claridge was the landlord for forty years. In that time he tried to revive coach travel with coaches called 'The Good Old Days' and 'Perseverance' but by that time it had become a novelty. He was the last person to drive a coach from Coventry to London. In 1912 he left the Craven Arms in High Street to move to the Craven Arms at Binley. Carriers also used the accommodation here.
By 1915 the site had been rebuilt on modern lines. Ironically, the building that replaced the original was a mock Tudor one. The Craven Arms survived the blitz to be renamed THE BEAR in 1970 and demolished later. The oak panelling and oak Jacobean fire surround in The Prince's Chamber, St. Mary's Hall, are said to have come from the Craven Arms.
The Craven Arms, High Street. Image from the Trinity Lodge website
|Known Licensees are;
1838 - 1841 Thomas Cheadle
1850 - 1861 William East
1868 Mrs. M. A. East
c1870 - 1912 Walter Dan Claridge
1919 - 1924 T. J. Kelly
1926 - 1934 A. Ireland
1935 - 1936 H. B. Chapman
1960 Roy C. Baker
1961 Reg A. Suffolk (see also City Arms, Earlsdon and Rose and Crown, High Street)
1962 Roy C. Baker
to 1838 Jacob Hart
from 1838 Davis Hart
14.7.1871 Wallter Dan Claridge
The Craven Arms is on the left of the photo here in 1913
Just part of the frontage and a few broken windows - all that remain of the Bear Pub on the High Street, Coventry. 20 December 1980
Name The name of this pub comes from the Earls of Craven, who were local landowners, their seat being the nearby Coonbe Abbey.
1802 News 2-14 Rebuilt - the older parts of the hotel being Elizabethan
11.9.1811 Source 12 No 41 The White Bear
In Local Memoranda No17, enquiry was made respecting the period when the name of this old hostelry was changed to the Craven Arms. I have recently met with a copy of the Coventry Herald, for September 11th, 1811, containing the advertisement from which a reply can be gleaned. The portion given below will, I hope, be deemed of sufficient interest to secure a place among your local notes.
CRAVEN ARMS HOTEL,
C. HANDASYD AND H. WAKEFIELD
Most respecfully inform the nobility, gentry, and Commercial gentlemen, that they have taken and opened the above inn ( late the Whiite Bear ), the house having been entirely rebuilt, and that they have elegantly fitted up and furnished the same, and laid in a stock of various kinds of wines, liquors etc. of the best and finest qualities
Families of the neighbourhood and others who have been absolutely driven from the house by the miserable manner in which the business has been done, are respectfully informed the house is now conducted in a very superior style. Commercial Gentlemen are particularly informed that a light, pleasant and commodious room will be appropriated entirely to their use, and every attention will be paid them.
July 29th 1811
? CR 346/1-3 Lease, grant and schedule of deed for this pub
1818 Poole Election address by Sir Charles Wolseley
1821 TRE P27 Charles Matthews presented ' Budget of Budgets ', a series of Welsh, Irish and Scottish recitations acompanied by comic and appropriate songs at the Craven Arms Hotel Assembly Rooms on June 11 1821. It is likely that the transfer of the lease of the Theatre Royal and Empire prevented his performance taking place at the theatre.
1835 TRE P46 March 1935 saw a block advertisement for the Coventry Craven Arms Assembly Rooms where PACANINI was due to appear. This was a ventriloquist and conjurer, rather than PAGANINI the violinist.
17.4.1838 CR 349/1 Will of Jacob Hart ( H. M. Consul to the Court of Savoy ) devizing the above ( leased to T. G. Cheadle ) to his son Davis Hart, on trust to convey to D. Hart's son Simon.
13.7.1843 CR 346/72 Sale of a premises at the above
14.7.1844 CR 101/1/503 Sale of an estate at the above
28.10.1844 CR 101/1/508 Auction of some premises at the above
1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map
1860's ACov P33a The rear of the Craven Arms in the 1860's. This is part of a large stable block which served the inn, holding up to forty hotses. The stables and most of the original inn survived until their demolition late in 1913. Ironically the building which replaced the original Tudor one was ' mock ' Tudor.
1865 CIC P47 Photo
Election - photo of Mr Mason Innes, Radical Liberal candidate, on the balcony of the above.
14.7.1871 CR 99/9/16 Owner Walter D. Claridge
1874 SOC P206 And their prejudices were given voice by elderly publican Dan Claridge. Claridge was a man who had been born at least a generation too late. As the young landlord of the Craven Arms in High Street, once Coventry's premier coaching inn, he had tried to reintroduce a regular stagecoach service to London back in 1874.
It was sporadic at best, an anachronism whose day would never come again, and it had petered out by 1892. Nevertheless he retained the appearance of and attitudes of a Dickensian sporting gentleman, and in 1915 he was interviewed by a national newspaper journalist visiting Coventry for some wartime colour. ' Its gone, the old Coventry spirit ', he growled. ' It doesn't exist anu more. They say Coventry is more go-ahead than it used to be, but did you ever see people more slack and dawdling than the people you meet today ? '.
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P10 CRAVEN ARMS HOTEL, High Street Alehouse
Owner : William Pridmore, Wyken
later Walter Dan Claridge
Licensee : Walter Dan Claridge
1880 Source 19 This old established Family, Commercial and Posting Hotel is situated in the busy and picturesque High Street.........This hotel is now under Company management, having been recently purchased by its present Proprietor.
This Hotel was formerly known as the ' White Bear ' and is referred to by Reader in his History of Coventry in 1810 by that name as one of the principal Hotels of the City, and one of the places where the Mails, Stage Coaches etc generally changed horses. It was altered to its present names under the proprietorship of Handasyd and Wakefield in 1811, when it had been entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the stables, which still retain the characteristic features of this portion of an ancient hostelry.
26.5.1886 CR 101/8/113 Auction at the Craven Arms
? CR 1012, 1047 Commonplace book of W. D. Claridge
1899 ACov P52 The Craven Arms, High Street, was originally an Elizabethan inn called the White Bear. It was partially rebuilt in 1802 and completely rebuilt in 1914. The landlord of the inn for forty years was white- wiskered Dan Claridge.
Dan Claridge died in April 1923 after a number of years at the other Craven Arms in Binley. The High Street Cravenm Arms site is now occupied by Barclays Bank.
c1900 CovAIW P17 Photo
COC P18 Carriers used the accommodation here ( Walter Dunn )
1906 OS Map
c1913 News 15 Photo
Kept by Walter Dan Claridge c1870 - 1915
HOC P209 Dan Claridge of the Craven Arms tried to reinstate coach travel with ' The Good Old Days ' in the late 19th century, but by then it had become a novelty.
HOC P243 .......Dan Claridge, owner of the Craven Arms and last man to drive a coach from Coventry to London.
11.1915 News 2-14 Completely rebuilt on modern lines.
Centre of many election conflicts as it was the old Whig headquarters.
23.3.1937 Anniversary of Dan Claridge's death. proprietor for 37 years.
1928 ACov P33b Mid-left can be seen the rebuilt Craven Arms, now a re-fronted branch of Barclays Bank
15.11.1940 Cov at War P52 High St, including the Craven Arms, on the morning of Nov 15, 1940.
' M&B '
1940 COCIP P131 Photo
This photograph looking across the corner of Broadgate and down the High Street........
The mock Tudor style timbered building id the Craven Arms rebuilt in 1914. The original inn was itself Tudor and began life as the White Bear
7.5.1945 Cov at War High Street on V. E. Day
? ACov P74b The Prince's Chamber, St Marys Hall
The oak pannelling and oak Jacobean fire surround were taken from the old Craven Arms in the High Street
1838 CR 349/1 T. G. Cheadle
1841 Census Thomas Cheadle 40 yo innkeeper Not b Wks m Martha, 40 & 1 child
1845 Kelly Mrs M. Cheadle
1850 CS William East
1861 CS William East 56 yo hotel keeper b Watford m Hannah, 59 & 3d, 4s,
1868 Buchanan Mrs M. A. East [ 3 visitors, 13 servants
c1870 News 15 Walter Dan Claridge
1871 Census Walter Dan Claridge 25 yo b Coventry m Mary Ann Barnes, 33 & 14.7.1871 CR 99/9/16 Walter Dan Claridge [ 1s, 1 d-i-l, 1 sisiter-i-, 1 nurse & 9 servants
1874 C&B W. Dan Claridge
1879 Stevens Walter Dan Claridge
1878 LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Dan Claridge
1881 C&B W. Dan Claridge
1886 C&B W. Dan Claridge
1890/91 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1893 Reporter W. Dan Claridge
1894 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1896 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1903 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1905 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1908 LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Dan Claridge
1909 R&G W. Dan Claridge
1911/12 Spennell W. Dan Claridge
1912/13 Spennell Licensees name not given
1919 Spennell T. J. Kelly
1921/22 Spennell T. J. Kelly
1924 P. James T. J. Kelly
1926/27 Spennell A. Ireland
1929 Spennell A. Ireland
1931/32 Spennell A. Ireland
1933/34 Spennell A. Ireland
1935/36 Spennell H. B. Chapman
1953 LTSD Earl Street
1955/56 Barrett Not listed in street section
1957 Barrett Not listed in street section
1960 Barrett Roy C. Baker
1961 Barrett R. A. Suffolk
1962 Barrett Roy C. Baker
1878 LJ Vol 1 P10 William Pridmore, Wyken
BUT 14.7.1871 CR 99/9/16 Walter Dan Claridge
later LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Dan Claridge
1908 LJ Vol 1 P10 Walter Dan Claridge
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.