|ADDRESS||1 SMITHFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1874||1898||SPIRIT VAULTS, 1 Smithford Street|
|1893||1903||BOARD, 1 Smithford Street|
|1903||1929||COVENTRY ARMS, Smithford Street / Broadgate|
|The Coventry Coat of Arms was the Elephant and Castle. This pub was the BOARD before it became the Coventry Arms.
Broadgate was widened in 1820 and most of its medieval buildings were demolished. The building that became the Coventry Arms is thought to date from then. However, the Coventry Arms itself was demolished in 1929, when it was found to have a spacious vaulted 14th century cellar, decorated medieval fireplaces and much of the building was thought to date from the 16th or 17th century. Like many Coventry buildings, all this was hidden behind a more recent facade. The National Provincial Bank next door was also demolished and both buildings were replaced by a much larger National Provincial Bank,which still stands on Broadgate.
The Coventry Arms was known locally as the 'Swinging Arms', not from any sexual proclivity, as might be expected today, but because it had wild-west style swinging doors! William Harrison, who kept the pub from 1893 to 1903, would not open on a Sunday.
|Known Licensees are;
1868 - 1874 John Dell
1886 - 1893 Wine & Spirit Merchant licensee W. Threadwell
1894 Lucas, Blackwell and Arkwright, brewers, manager William Harrison
1898 - 1903 Lucas & Co, brewers, manager William Harrison
1905 - 1909 W. Newman
1910 - 1924 Thomas Strong
1926 - 1929 E. Reynolds
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.