title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cottage and Rainbow

photo
NAME COTTAGE AND RAINBOW
ADDRESS 26 JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1835 BEERHOUSE, Jordan Well
1840 RAINBOW
1841 1868 COTTAGE AND RAINBOW
This is a strange combination. Could the name be a joining of two previous pubs' names? The pub appears on the 1851 Public Health Map.

In 1840 the RAINBOW in Jordan Well was used for auctions. In 1841 the licensee of the RAINBOW was J. Gray. The 1850 Directory states the COTTAGE AND RAINBOW licensee as J. Gray.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1835 James Gray

Known Licensees at the RAINBOW are;
1841 James Gray

Known Licensees at the COTTAGE & RAINBOW are;
1841 - 1851 J. Gray
1861 Catherine Jephcott
1868 E. Harris
1868 Harry Eaves

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.