title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cock

spon end

Spon End with the Malt Shovel on the right

NAME COCK
ADDRESS 15 and 16 SPON END
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1636 UNICORN
1636 1756 COCK
1822 1850 PEACOCK
This was an ancient sign in use since the fourteenth century. It was often an indication that in the past cock fighting took place in the yard. In the seventeeth century the sign may also have advertised the sale of cock ale, which was 'ale mixed with the jelly of minced meat of a boiled cock, besides other ingredients'.

In 1636 we learn of a messuage called the COCK or the sign of the UNICORN in Coventry County, Spon End or Coundon in Urchinfield, owned by the Browne family. This address gave us some puzzlement until we read in the Victoria County History that in 1410 - 11 Coundon's south-western boundary followed the Shrebourne as far as Richard Burton's mill on Spon Bridge and in the 1570's the name Coundon in Urchinfield was given as the location of property said to be ' near the city 'and ' on the south side of the street there ', which in 1700 was described simply as in ' Urchin Field adjoining Spon End '. This all sealed the association with this pub.

In 1756 two soldiers were billeted here. In 1682 there is a record of a Thomas Hunton (being the son of John Hunton) who kept the Cock 'without Spon Bar-gate'. This is believed to have been at 15 and 16 Spon End and a photograph of c1913 in John Ashby's Spon Street and Spon End shows a large timber framed building that stood about where the Bethel Chapel stands today. By then it had already ceased to be an inn and it does not appear in any directories either. To the rear stood Cock Court.

The Cock is thought to have been named the PEACOCK in its later years.

Licensees at the COCK were;
17th century: John Hunton Owners
17th century John & Elizabeth Browne
17th century Ralph Browne
c1636 Abraham Browne

Known Licensees at the PEACOCK are;
1822 - 1823 T. Adcock
1850 Thomas Small

Owners;
17th century John & Elizabeth Browne
17th century Ralph Browne
1636/37 Abraham Browne

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.