title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cock

NAME COCK
ADDRESS RADFORD ROAD
This was an ancient sign in use since the fourteenth century. It was often an indication that in the past cock fighting took place in the yard. In the seventeeth century the sign may also have advertised the sale of cock ale, which was ' ale mixed with the jelly of minced meat of a boiled cock, besides other ingredients'.

Two soldiers were billeted here in 1756. In fact Alderman Hewitt recorded three 'Cocks' when listing the billeting of soldiers; the Jordan Well one, the Spon End one and one with no address. This 'Cock' last appears in 1790 on a Bishop Street List of Publicans and when advertised to let..

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.