title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cock

photo
NAME COCK
ADDRESS 48 JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1800 1802 RING OF BELLS
1802 1868 COCK
1868 1870 VAMPIRE, VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN

This was an ancient sign in use since the fourteenth century. It was often an indication that in the past cock fighting took place in the yard. In the seventeeth century the sign may also have advertised the sale of cock ale, which was 'ale mixed with the jelly of minced meat of a boiled cock, besides other ingredients'.

In 1756 two soldiers were billeted here. It appears that c1860 a replacement COCK was built.

By 1871 the premises was occupied by a currier and leather seller. In the 1891 census the premises are given as No.48 and occupied by Thomas Barton, Wine Porter. His daughter, Eliza L. Barton aged 16 is shown as a British Wine Shop Keeper. Could this be the fate of the COCK?

Known Licensees at the COCK are;
1828 - 1829 Joseph Glaze
1841 William Johnson
1845 - 1851 George Yardley
1861 Mary Pears
1861 F. G. Johnson

Known Licensees at the VAMPIRE are;
1868 C. Wakefield
1868 David Smith (see also at the Warwick Arms and Spirit Vaults, Little Park Street in 1863)
1869 Amos Statham
1870 James Robert Lucas

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.