title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

City Arms Hotel

photo
NAME CITY ARMS HOTEL
ADDRESS 34/35 FLEET STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES WEST ORCHARD
The name comes from the Coventry Coat of Arms. The pub dates back at least to 1850 and stood on the corner of Fleet Street and West Orchard. It was demolished in the mid 1950's and when the Upper Precinct, including Market Way and Smithford Way, were finished in 1955 when they contained 88 shops, 3 large stores and 1 pub, the new City Arms, in Smithford Way.
Known Licensees are;
1850 - 1851 Samuel Green
1861 - 1868 William Smith
1871 - 1874 Charles Naylor
1879 Charles King
1886 - 1893 F. Rainbow
1894 E. Oxborrow
1896 Alice Pearson
1903 - 1905 Joseph Pearson
1909 B. Edwards
1911 - 1919 George Edwards
1921 - 1924 W. H. E. Ross
1926 - 1940 W.Monk
1960 - 1962 George Hammond (This would be the new pub)
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Name From the city coat of arms

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

6.8.1852 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Esther Green to Joseph Thompson

22.6.1861 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Thomas Smith to William Smith

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P26 CITY ARMS, Fleet Street Alehouse
Owner : Charles Sumner, Cope Street, later of Warwick Road, later of Allesley
later Joseph Pearson, 107 Much Park Street
Licensee : Charles King
17.3.1881 TOL to Arthur Samuel Laxon & James Laxon
27.4.1882 TOL to John Frederick Fassridge
12.3.1885 TOL to Frederick Rainbird
12.4.1893 TOL to Edward Elliott
12.4.1894 TOL to Ernest Oxberrow
27.2.1896 TOL to Benjamin Brain
14.5.1896 TOL to Alice Pearson
17.8.1874 fined 20/- & costs & license endorsed harbouring prostitutes

1887 COC P54 Cov Times Inn signs

1900 ACov P157B Photo

1906 OS Map

CS1

1955 COCIP P159 Photo

Further down and on the corner of West Orchard and Fleet Street stands the City Arms.

1955 COCIP P160 Photo
The UpperPrecinct, including Market Way and Smithford Way, was finally completed in 1955 and contained 88 shops, 3 large stores and 1 pub - the rebuilt City Arms.

1958 COCIP P161 Photo
This photo was taken in West Orchard, in the background can be seen the City Arms.

c1959 Closed. Re-opened in Smithford Way

LICENSEES

1850 CS Samuel Green

1851 Census Samuel Green 47yo b Clifton m Esther, 47

1852 JA141 CS Esther Green

1852 JA141 CS Joseph Thompson

1861 JA141 CS Thomas Smith

1861 JA141 CS William Smith

1861 Census William Smith 58yo b Tysoe widower & 1 gd, 1 lodger

1868 Buchanan W. Smith

23.11.1868 Lantern William Smith

1871 Census Charles Naylor 47 yo innkeeper b Watford m Lucretia, 47 &
1874 C&B C. Naylor [ 1 servant, 1 lodger
1878 LJ Vol 1 P26 Charles King
1879 Stevens Charles King
1881 LJ Vol 1 P26 Charles King
1881 LJ Vol 1 P26 Arthur Samuel Laxon & James Laxon
1882 LJ Vol 1 P26 Arthur Samuel Laxon & James Laxon
1882 LJ Vol 1 P26 John Frederick Fassridge
1885 LJ Vol 1 P26 John Frederick Fassridge
1885 LJ Vol 1 P26 Frederick Rainbow
1886 C&B F. Rainbow

1890/91 C&B F. Rainbow

1893 Reporter F. Rainbow
1893 LJ Vol 1 P26 Frederick Rainbow
1893 LJ Vol 1 P26 Edward Elliott
1894 LJ Vol 1 P26 Edward Elliott
1894 LJ Vol 1 P26 Ernest Oxberrow
1894 R&G E. Oxborrow
1896 LJ Vol 1 P26 Ernest Oxberrow
1896 LJ Vol 1 P26 Benjamin Brain
1896 LJ Vol 1 P26 Alice Pearson
1896 R&G Alice Pearson

1898 LJ Vol 1 P26 Alice Pearson
1903 R&G Joseph Pearson

1905 R&G Joseph Pearson

1909 R&G B. Edwards

1911/12 Spennell George Edwards

1912/13 Spennell George Edwards

1919 Spennell George Edwards

1921/22 Spennell W. H. E. Ross

1924 P. James W. H. E. Ross

1926/27 P. James W. Monk

1929 P. James W. Monk

1931/32 P. James W. Monk

1933/34 P. James W. Monk

1935/36 P. James W. Monk

1937/38 P. James W. Monk

1939/40 P. James W. Monk

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named pub

1957 Barrett Licensee not named pub

1960 Barrett George Hammond

1961 Barrett George Hammond

1962 Barrett George Hammond

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P26 Charles Sumner, Cope Street, later of Warwick Road, later of Allesley
later LJ Vol 1 P26 Joseph Pearson, 107 Much Park Street
1898 LJ Vol 1 P26 Joseph Pearson, 107 Much Park Street

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.