title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The City Arms

photo

Cross Cheaping 1892

NAME CITY ARMS
ADDRESS 1 CROSS CHEAPING
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES MARKET PLACE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1310 c1810 PEACOCK INN
c1810 1878 CITY ARMS

The name of this pub is a reference to Coventry's Coat of Arms. It stood next to the Castle Hotel in Cross Cheaping, although in the census of 1841 and 1861 the address was Market Place.

It was called the PEACOCK INN until the City Arms was adopted in the late 19th century. From 1790 until c1817 the City Arms was kept by the Waters family, Edward and later David. These are the Waters later well-known as wine importers with their premises on High Street, including WATERS WINE BAR.

Around 1817 Thomas Parrott succeeded the Waters at the City Arms and the pub was demolished in 1878 in order to widen the entrance to the Market.

Known Licensees at the PEACOCK are;
1790 - 1801 Edward Waters

Known Licensees at the CITY ARMS are;
1790 - c1817 Edward and later David Waters
c1817 - 1829 Thomas Parrott
1841 - 1850 Samuel Duke Armstrong
1861 - 1874 David Dalgleish

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.