title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cheylesmore Inn

photo

Greyfriars Lane. The Bell was opposite Ford's Hospital, shown here on the right

NAME CHEYLESMORE INN
ADDRESS 60 GREYFRIARS LANE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1756 1884 (1909) BELL, BLUEBELL
1874 1939 CHEYLESMORE INN
The name comes from the local district of Cheylesmore. In 1896 this pub was leased by Phillips & Marriott for the life of Mrs. Sarah Harris and in 1914 it was purchased by them for the sum of £2000. In 1935 it was advertising Bass on draught and in bottles and it must have closed by 1939 as that is when the new Cheylesmore Inn opened on Daventry Road. It appears that the Cheylesmore was previously known as the Bell, although the two names appear to have overlapped between 1884 and 1909.

Known Licensees at the BELL are;
1828 - 1829 Sarah Suckling
1841 William Pearson
1845 J. Cooper
1850 - 1851 Elizabeth Jephcott
1861 William Jeffs
1868 Jennifer Jeffs ( J. Jeps ) ( wife of William Jeffs )
1871 - 1879 William King
1881 - 1886 Thomas Oates ( Oats )
1905 J. Roberts
1909 G. K. Driver

Known Licensees at the CHEYLESMORE INN are;
1874 George Hollick
1890 - 1896 G. Barnett
1898 - 1905 Jonathan Roberts
1905 - 1906 Walter Ebourne
1907 George Knight Driver
1909 Charles Taylor
1910 - 1922 Joseph Smith
1924 - 1934 A. G. Maisey
1935 Patrick Joseph McGreal
1935 Arthur Edward Haymes (see also Woolpack, Spon Street 1939 - 1960)

Owners
1874 George Hollick
1874 - 1891 Mrs. Sarah Hollick
1891 Sarah Harris ( same as above, remarried )
1891 - 1896 Charles Webb Iliffe
1896 - 1924 Phillips & Marriott
from 1924 Bass

map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Name From a local place name

1874 JA48 PA56/7/15 George Hollick, the licensee, died ( not reflected in Bell licensees, but he was the owner )

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P26 BELL, Warwick Lane / Grey Friars Lane Alehouse
Owner : Mr George Lloyd, Hay Lane, executor of George Hollick deceased
Licensee : William King
9.7.1880 TOL to Thomas John Oates ( Bell till c1889 )
18.4.1889 TOL to George Barnett ( Cheylesmore from now )
27.10.1897 TOL to John Shilton
28.7.1898 TOL to Jonathan Roberts
13.1.1881 fined 10/- & costs -?- sale
2.7.1881 fined 40/- & costs & license endorsed permitting drunkenness.
30.10.1886 fined 10/- & costs permitting drunkenness

1884 JA34 Cheylesmore Inn name introduced

1891 JA48 PA56/7/15 Sarah Hollick, widow of George Hollick, married William Harris

5.1891 JA48 PA56/7/15 Sarah Harris assigned her life interest to Charles Webb Iliffe

10.1896 P&M PR Leased by Phillips & Marriott for the life of Mrs Sarah Harris

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 Charles Webb Iliffe sold to Phillips & Marriott for £ 625

1905 COCIP P62 Photo

A fine view of Ford's Hospital in 1905. The lamp on the left is actually attached to the CHEYLESMORE INN formerly known as the BELL

[ see licensees overlap ]

8.1.1914 P&M PR Purchased by Phillips & Marriott for £ 2000

1935/36 P. James Under new management. Bass ales on draught and in bottle. Bagatelle

1939 Cheylesmore Inn, Daventry Road, opened

LICENSEES

1874 JA48 PA56/7/15 George Hollick died
1889 LJ Vol 1 P26 George Barnett
1890/91 R&G G. Barnett

1893 Reporter G. Barnett

1894 R&G G. Barnett

1896 R&G G. Barnett
1897 LJ Vol 1 P26 George Barnett
1897 LJ Vol 1 P26 John Shilton
1898 LJ Vol 1 P26 John Shilton
1898 LJ Vol 1 P26 Jonathan Roberts
4.7.1898 P&M PR Jonathan Roberts Bell

1903 R&G J. Roberts "

1905 R&G J. Roberts "

17.11.1905 P&M PR Walter Ebourne " manager

4.4.1906 P&M PR Walter Ebourne " tenant

24.7.1907 P&M PR George Knight Driver

14.10.1909 P&M PR Charles Taylor

3.3.1910 P&M PR Joseph Smith

1911/12 Spennell Joseph Smith

1912/13 Spennell Joseph Smith

1919 Spennell Joseph Smith

1921/22 Spennell Joseph Smith

20.3.1922 P&M PR Joseph Smith manager

1924 P. James A. G. Maisey

1926/27 P. James A. G. Maisey

1929 P. James A. G. Maisey

1931/32 P. James A. G. Maisey

1933/34 P. James A. G. Maisey

1935/36 P. James Patrick Joseph McGreal proprietor

1935 Citypubs 6 Arthur Edward Haymes

1937/38 P. James Licensee not named

OWNERS

1874 JA48 PA56/7/15 George Hollick died
1878 LJ Vol 1 P26 Mr George Lloyd, Hay Lane, executor of George Hollick deceased
1874 JA48 PA56/7/15 Sarah Hollick, widow of above

1891 JA48 PA56/7/15 Sarah Harris, same as above

1891 JA48 PA56/7/15 Charles Webb Iliffe

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 Charles Webb Iliffe

1896 JA48 PA56/7/15 Phillips & Marriott

1914 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

1924 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

1924 P&M PR Bass

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.