title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cheylesmore Inn

photo
NAME CHEYLESMORE INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES CHEYLESMORE HOTEL
ADDRESS DAVENTRY ROAD
This pub took its name from the local area of Coventry. It opened in 1939, taking the license of the old Cheylesmore Inn which stood in Greyfriars Lane. During the war an incendiary bomb came through the roof and everyone was exiled to the bottle store where they sat on crates and normal waiter service resumed. There were bell pushes in the gents-only bar but waiter service did not last long after the war.

In 1982 it was described as a typical fifties estate pub! Only 11 years out there, lads. Also that it had a Victorian style interior in contrast to the previous Wild West interior. The pub was demolished in 2006 and the site left empty until being redeveloped as a supermarket c2014.
Known Licensees are;
1955 - 1957 Abraham Hammond
1960 - 1962 A. J. Williams
1983 Danny Bedding

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.