title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Chequers

NAME CHEQUERS
ADDRESS 34 - 35 LITTLE PARK STREET
This is an ancient tavern sign which was probably brought to England by the Romans. Evidence from Pompeii suggests that it was already in use there, perhaps referring to a game such as draughts played on the premises. The sign was later associated with a money-table and indeed the word 'exchequer' originally meant a kind of chess board. Some inns may have used the sign to indicate that they were ready to change money or act as bankers in some way. A heraldic connection is that the head of the Fitzwarrens, whose coat of arms showed chequered squares, had the privilege of licensing alehouses in the reign of Edward IV.

This pub dates from before 1800 and at one time adjoined Cheylesmore Manor House, which stood in Little Park Street. St. Michaels bell ringer's ten-pint glass was kept here after its removal from the O Rare Ben Johnson. It is said to have rung in the key of A#. In February 1926 it was sold by Charringtons by which time it adjoined the works of the Coventry Machinists Co., the Maudslay Motor Works and Quinton Hosiery Works. On Good Friday 1941 it was demolished by a German bomb.
Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1829 Thomas Boswell
1835 Daniel Sheard
1841 - 1845 Mrs Sarah Sheard
1850 - 1881 Charles Muston (Maston)
1886 Tom Garratt
1890 - 1896 E. Poutney
1903 - 1922 John Busby
1924 - 1932 T. Bott
1933 - 1938 F. James
1939 - 1940 W. S. Naughton
Owners
1926 Charringtons
map


+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN An ancient tavern sign which was probably brought to Britain by the Romans. Evidence from Pompeii suggests that it was already in use there, perhaps referring to a game such as draughts played on the premises. The sign was later associated with a money-table, and indeed the word 'exchequer ' originally meant a kind of chess board. Some inns have used the sign to indicate that they were ready to change money or act as bankers in some way. A heraldic connection is that the head of the Fitzwarrens, whose coat of arms showed chequered squares, had the privilege of licensing alehouses in the reign of Edward IV.

1781 1000 Years Used for auctions

HOH P48 Adjoins Cheylesmore Manor House

c1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem

COC P16 St. Michael's bell ringer's ten pint glass ( A sharp ) kept here after moving from the O Rare Ben Johnson.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

22.6.1861 JA141 CS Transfer of lcense from William Smith to Thomas Iliffe

13.5.1863 JA137 Transfer of license to Charles Muston

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P29 CHEQUERS, Little Park Street Alehouse
Owner : Charles Muston, representative of Edward Pountney
later Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent
Licensee : Charles Muston
10.11.1884 TOL to Frances Muston
2.7.1886 TOL to Tom Garrett
1.11.1888 TOL to Edward Pountney
28.10.1897 TOL to John Busby

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

2.1926 News 86 Sold by Charringtons ' Adjoining works of Coventry Machinists Co., the Maudsley Motor Works and Quinton Hosiery Works '.

Good Friday 1941 HOH P48 Demolished by a bomb

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot T. Boswell

1828/29 Pigot Thomas Boswell

1835 Pigot Daniel Sheard

1841 Pigot Sarah Sheard

1845 Pigot Mrs S. Sheard

1850 CS Charles Muston

1851 Census Charles Muston 37 yo b Hinckley m Ann, 37
1861 JA141 CS William Smith

1861 JA141 CS Thomas Iliffe

1863 JA137 Charles Muston

1868 Buchanan C. Maston

23.11.1868 Lantern Charles Muston

1871 Census Charles Muston 57 yo b Hinckley m Frances, 40 & 1s, 4d

1874 C&B C. Muston
1878 LJ Vol1 P29 Charles Muston
1881 C&B C. Muston
1884 LJ Vol1 P29 Charles Muston
1884 LJ Vol1 P29 Frances Muston
1886 LJ Vol1 P29 Frances Muston
1886 LJ Vol1 P29 Tom Garrett
1886 C&B Tom Garrett
1888 LJ Vol1 P29 Tom Garrett
1888 LJ Vol1 P29 Edward Pountney
1890/91 R&G E. Poutney

1893 Reporter E. Poutney

1894 R&G E. Poutney

1896 R&G E. Poutney

1897 LJ Vol1 P29 John Busby
1898 LJ Vol1 P29 John Busby
1903 R&G J. Busby

1905 R&G J. Busby

1909 R&G J. Busby

1911/12 Spennell John Busby

1912/13 Spennell John Busby

1919 Spennell John Busby

1921/22 Spennell John Busby

1924 P. James T. Bott

1926/27 P. James T. Bott

1929 P. James T. Bott

1931/32 P. James T. Bott

1933/34 P. James F. James

1935/36 P. James F. James

1937/38 P. James F. James

1939/40 P. James W. S. Naughton

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P29 Charles Muston, representative of Edward Pountney
later LJ Vol1 P29 Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol1 P29 Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent
to 2.1926 News 86 Charringtons

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.