title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Charterhouse Hotel

photo

Photo© Copyright Ian Rob and licensed for re-use under this Creative Commons Licence.

NAME CHARTERHOUSE HOTEL
ADDRESS 79 TERRY TOAD
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES ORWELL ROAD
The name of this pub reflects the nearby remains of the Carthusian monastery. The pub opened in 1914. The manager in 1924 was Major G. E. Potter, M.C., late of the 7th. Queen's Own Hussars. As an example of the effect of the reform movement on public houses, he advertised catering, accommodation, billiards, snooker, bagatelle, clock golf, croquet, room hire, concerts every Sunday evening and a lawn. A busy place then!
Known Licensees are;
1919 H. G. Underhill
1924 - 1932 Major G. E. Potter
1933 - 1940 F. Brooks
1960 - 1962 Sidney Wilday
1985 Mr. D. Shannon

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.