Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
Rosie Malone's. The Cellar Nightclub is below
|| CELLAR NIGHTCLUB
|| JORDAN WELL
|| MUCH PARK STREET
|THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
||GRADUATES AND RED SQUARE VODKA BAR
||ROSIE MALONE'S and the CELLAR NIGHTCLUB
| This pub opened as the LADY GODIVA on 28th February 1964 on the site of the ADAM & EVE. The Adam and Eve had closed in c1855 and the whole corner demolished and rebuilt as a lady's outfitters shop, which was itself destroyed by enemy bombing on the night of 14th Novenmber 1940. Its basement was converted into a static water tank for the duration of the war. Afterwards the site was cleared for rebuilding, becoming the LADY GODIVA. It had an upstairs bar and a cellar bar. In 1985 admission was charged to the downstairs bar for a disco on Friday and Saturday nights.
In 1999 it became GRADUATES and the RED SQUARE VODKA BAR, both sharing the premises, and later ROSIE MALONE'S and the CELLAR NIGHTCLUB
Jordan Well, Much Park Street junction c2010.
Coventry University buildings now dominate, just winning out over the encroaching trees. On the corner of Much Park Street is a pub that has been renamed too many times to mention since it was called 'The Lady Godiva' in the 1960s and 70s. It appears to be Rosie Malone's on this day but tomorrow, who knows? Photo © Copyright E Gammie and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.