title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cedars Inn

photo
NAME CEDARS INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES CEDARS HOTEL
ADDRESS BARKERS BUTTS LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES CEDARS AVENUE
So called because there were so many tall Cedar trees in the area, many of which were felled to make way for the pub building in 1926.

It is a good example of an inter-war pub buried deep in the suburbs. The pantile roof lends a Mediterranean look. It has a lively frontage with set-back dutch gables, flat metalled windows, a conical sun trap window and rendered walls.

The Cedars was built in a time of full employment and full wage packers, when working men flocked to the pub. A formidable landlord called Tom Atkinson was known to handle any 'skirmishes' by ushering troublemakers to the door using his stomach.

The Cedars had some renown for being one of the first pubs in the country to serve beer from cellar tanks rather than casks or kegs. The cellar tanks have long since gone.
Known Licensees are;
1937 - 1938 J. Prothero
1939 - 1940 E. T. (Tom) Atkinson
1955 - 1962 Henry Ling (see below)
1983 Paschal Gardiner
newspaper clipping

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.