title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Castle Inn

photo

Here is the top of Bishop Street in 1919 looking towards Burges, almost exactly where Bishop Gate would have stood. The Castle Inn shown here on the right was on the corner of King Street. The Cranes Inn was on the opposite corner, the white painted building to the left where the policeman is looking. See the map below. Thanks to Rob Orland on the 'Historic Coventry' forum for the image.

NAME CASTLE INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES CASTLE TAVERN
ADDRESS 1 KING STREET
This has been a common pub name for centuries. It is tempting to connect it with the phrase 'an Englishman's home is his castle', a phrase which has been in use since the seventeenth century, but it is more likely to refer to either

a. Coventry Castle.
b. the castle in the City Coat of Arms.
c. a simple visual sign, easy to illustrate and easy for patrons to recognise.

The Castle Inn was an eighteenth century building which stood on the site of Bishop Gate on the main entrance to the city from the north. It stood opposite the Cranes Inn. In 1899 it was purchased by Phillips & Marriott from John Ellison Poole of Birchfields, Nether Whitacre. The previous occupants had been Ind Coope & Co. Phillips and Marriott paid £4050 and three months later they valued it at £4500. It was demolished in the 1960s, for the building of the Ring Road.
Known Licensees are;
1841 William Sheffield
1845 - 1861 John Russell
1879 James Hopkins
1881 F. Adcock
1886 - 1891 Charles Matthews
1893 J. B. Geary
1894 - 1896 James Stringer
1899 Elijah Strong
1903 - 1909 Thomas Strong
1909 - 1929 Ernest J. Ingram
1931 - 1940 F. Lewis
1955 - 1957 William Lewis
photo
Owners
1899 John Ellison Poole of Birchfields, Nether Whitacre
1899 Phillips & Marriott


+ -
Click here to see Research

1874 JA100 Opened originally as a wine merchant but by this time known as the OLD VAULTS. Previously in 1874 the SPIRIT VAULTS and from 1881 the THEATRE VAULTS.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P22 BOARD, Smithford Street Alehouse Owner J. B. R. Ball, Hill Street, Coventry, later of Park Side
Licensee : Thomas Heap ( Old Vaults )
7.11.1878 TOL to William Brough
23.1.1879 TOL to Frederick Heap
20.1.1881 TOL to Thomas Wade
26.4.1883 TOL to Arthur Henry Masser
31.5.1883 TOL to James Eaves
13.3.1884 TOL to George Johnson
6.11.1884 TOL to Thomas Horley
11.1.1886 TOL to James Whitaker ( Theatre Vaults )
11.3.1886 TOL to Harry William Thomas
27.4.1888 TOL to William Growcock Wright
5.1.1899 TOL to John Henry Gee
27.4.1899 fined 10/- & costs selling to drunken person

LICENSEES

1878 LJ Vol 1 P22 Thomas Heap
1878 LJ Vol 1 P22 William Brough
1879 LJ Vol 1 P22 William Brough
1879 LJ Vol 1 P22 Frederick Heap
1881 LJ Vol 1 P22 Frederick Heap
1881 LJ Vol 1 P22 Thomas Wade
1881 C&B J. Wade ( Thomas ? ) Wine & Spirit Merchant
1883 LJ Vol 1 P22 Thomas Wade
1883 LJ Vol 1 P22 Arthur Henry Masser
1883 LJ Vol 1 P22 James Eaves
1884 LJ Vol 1 P22 James Eaves
1884 LJ Vol 1 P22 George Johnson
1884 LJ Vol 1 P22 Thomas Horley
1886 LJ Vol 1 P22 Thomas Horley

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P22 J. B. R. Ball, Hill Street, Coventry, later of Park Side
1886 LJ Vol 1 P22 J. B. R. Ball, Hill Street, Coventry, later of Park Side

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.