title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Castle

photo
NAME CASTLE
ADDRESS 51 CASTLE STREET, HILLFIELDS
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1829 1841 ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
1841 1851 BEERHOUSE
1861 1879 CASTLE
1879 1965 ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
This has been a common pub name for centuries. It is tempting to connect it with the phrase 'an Englishman's home is his castle', a phrase which has been in use since the seventeenth century, but it is more likely to refer to either

a. Coventry Castle.
b. the castle in the City Coat of Arms.
c. a simple visual sign, easy to illustrate and easy for patrons to recognise. Before 1868 and from 1879 this was known as the ELEPHANT AND CASTLE.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 John Sidwell

Known Licensees at the CASTLE are;
1861 - 1868 Richard Charnock
1874 H. M. Jackson
1879 Joseph Ashley

Known Licensees at the ELEPHANT & CASTLE are;
1829 David Rowbotham
1841 John Sidwell
1845 J. Kitson
1850 - 1851 William Coleman
1868 - 1874 Richard Charnock
1881 J. Ashley
1890 - 1913 Thomas W. Bates
1919 - 1936 Henry Herbert Bates
1937 - 1938 W. J. Neville
1939 - 1940 T. A. Bayley

photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.