title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Cardinals Hat

NAME CARDINALS HAT
ALTERNATIVE NAME LANGLEY'S INN
ADDRESS BROADGATE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS EARL STREET
This is listed as one of the famous old inns in Coventry in Mary Dormer Harris's ' Life in an Old English Town ', page 307. Between 1471 and 1473 it is recorded as belonging to the Langley family and hence was also known as known as LANGLEY'S INN. It is described as lying between the prior's tenament called Le Crown and the draper John Ruyton's tenament, extending from the street to Giles Sowtham's Little Park Street land. In 1473 it was said that
' Langley's House or (the) Cardinal's Hat in Earl Street is in ruins (and) there will be murder if it fall(s); the possessors of the same are to be fined '.
Owners
1471 Lady Isobel Langley
1471 John Langley
1473 Nicholas Brome

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.