title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Canterbury Arms

map
NAME CANTERBURY ARMS
ADDRESS 20 LOWER FORD STREET
Canterbury has been an important centre since Roman times and became a place of pilgrimage after the murder of Thomas-a-Becket in December 1170, though why the name was applied to this pub I do not know. It was owned by the Leamington Brewery in 1903. The Canterbury stood parallel to the Foresters and was a very similar pointed shape on that odd junction of Raglan Street, Alma Street and Lower Ford Street in Hillfields. In 1968 it was closed and demolished
Known Licensees are;
1903 W. Newman
1905 - 1913 E. Simpson
1929 H. Waters
1931 - 1932 T. Keene
1933 - 1936 E. J. Goughs
1937 - 1938 W. Smith
1939 - 1940 William Elliott

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Canterbury has been an important centre since Roman times and became a place of pilgrimage after the murder of Thomas a Becket in December 1170.

DYKC P36 Q12 Photo
Ansells


24.8.1898 LJ Vol 2 P28 BOARD, Lower Ford Street Alehouse 6 days license M
( Canterbury Arms )

Owner : Lucas, Blackwell & Arkwright, Leamington
Licensee : Walter Newman
17.12.1903 Ezra Simpson ( Changed name about now )
Full license granted 30.8.1899
Confirmed 27.9.1899

1906 OS Map

1974 1000 Years Closed and demolished

LICENSEES

1898 LJ Vol 2 P28 Walter Newman
1903 R&G W. Newman Leamington Brewery
1903 LJ Vol 2 P28 Walter Newman
1903 LJ Vol 2 P28 Ezra Simpson
1905 R&G E. Simpson
1906 LJ Vol 2 P28 Ezra Simpson
1909 R&G E. Simpson

1911/12 Spennell E. Simpson

1912/13 Spennell E. Simpson

1929 P. James H. Waters

1931/32 P. James T. Keene

1933/34 P. James E. J. Goughs

1935/36 P. James E. J. Goughs

1937/38 P. James W. Smith

1939/40 P. James William Elliott

OWNERS

1898 LJ Vol 2 P28 Lucas, Blackwell & Arkwright, Leamington
1906 LJ Vol 2 P28 Lucas, Blackwell & Arkwright, Leamington

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.