title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Canteen

NAME CANTEEN
ADDRESS BARRACK YARD
This was the canteen attached to Coventry barracks. It was used for auctions in 1848 and we read of a number of transfers of the license in the 1860's. Not much else is known of the Canteen and it is said to have closed c1892. It certainly cannot have continued after the closure of the Barracks and its conversion into a market in 1922. Was it open to the public ?
Known Licensees are;
1850 - 1851 Joseph Porch
1861 Peter Donaldson
1866 William Eaves
1866 David Smith
1868 T. J. Bruver
1869 Robert Reid
1869 John Walker
1872 John Gays

+ -
Click here to see Research

Was this ever open to the public ?

22.8.1848 JA16 CS Canteen, Barack Yard, used for auctions

28.9.1866 JA125 CS Transfer of license from William Eaves to David Smith

5.11.1869 JA63 CH&O Transfer of license from Robert Reid to John Walker

8.4.1872 JA16 CS Transfer of license to John Gays

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P11 CANTEEN, Smithford Street Alehouse
Owner : The Crown
licensee : Richard Coleman
Not renewed 1892

1922 Barracks closed and market created.

LICENSEES

1850 CS Joseph Porch

1851 Census Joseph Porch 40 yo b Hellsby, GLS

1861 Census Peter Donaldson 44 yo proprietor of canteen b Scotland m Julia, 52

1866 JA125 CS William Eaves

1866 JA125 CS David Smith

23.11.1868 Lantern T. J. Bruver

1869 JA63 CH&O Robert Reid

1869 JA63 CH&O John Walker
1872 JA16 CS John Gays

1878 LJ Vol1 P11 Richard Coleman
1892 LJ Vol1 P11 Richard Coleman
License not renewed 1892

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P10 The Crown
1892 LJ Vol1 P10 The Crown
License not renewed 1892

Was this ever open to the public ?

22.8.1848 JA16 CS Canteen, Barack Yard, used for auctions

28.9.1866 JA125 CS Transfer of license from William Eaves to David Smith

5.11.1869 JA63 CH&O Transfer of license from Robert Reid to John Walker

8.4.1872 JA16 CS Transfer of license to John Gays

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P11 CANTEEN, Smithford Street Alehouse
Owner : The Crown
licensee : Richard Coleman
Not renewed 1892

1922 Barracks closed and market created.

LICENSEES

1850 CS Joseph Porch

1851 Census Joseph Porch 40 yo b Hellsby, GLS

1861 Census Peter Donaldson 44 yo proprietor of canteen b Scotland m Julia, 52

1866 JA125 CS William Eaves

1866 JA125 CS David Smith

23.11.1868 Lantern T. J. Bruver

1869 JA63 CH&O Robert Reid

1869 JA63 CH&O John Walker
1872 JA16 CS John Gays

1878 LJ Vol1 P11 Richard Coleman
1892 LJ Vol1 P11 Richard Coleman
License not renewed 1892

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P10 The Crown
1892 LJ Vol1 P10 The Crown
License not renewed 1892

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.