title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS SOWE WASTE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES WOODWAY LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1845 1880 BEERHOUSE, Sowe and BEERHOUSE, Sowe Waste
1879 1913 SPOTTED DOG, Woodway Lane
In the 1841 census Thomas Hayes is 60 and a boatman at Sowe Waste. In 1851 there is a Hayes family at Sowe Waste, but no Thomas or Manasseh. In 1861 Manasseh Hayes, 37, is a victualler at the Dog Public House, Sowe Waste. In 1871 Manasseh is described as 47 and a publican at the Dog, Woodway Lane.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1845 - 1850 Thomas Hayes
1863 - 1874 Manessah Hayes
1876 - 1880 Henry Sibley

Known Licensees at the SPOTTED DOG are;
1888 - 1892 Mrs. Ann Whetstone
1900 - 1908 William Hayes (see also Jolly Colliers)
1910 - 1913 William Hill


link to previous pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub
 

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.