title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo

Photo © Copyright Keith Williams and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

ADDRESS BROAD LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES STONELEIGH
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1861   HAWTHORN TREE
1861 1900 BEERHOUSE, Broad Lane
1924 BEERHOUSE, Tile Hill
  c2007 HAWTHORN TREE

Broad Lane is listed as Stoneleigh because the Lords Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey owned the Tile Hill and Westwood areas until the late 1920's.

The Hawthorn Tree started as a BEERHOUSE before 1850 as this is the first mention I have found. The first reference to the name the Hawthorn Tree comes in 1870, when it was sold. This pub stood on the opposite corner of Hawthorn Lane and Broad Lane to the later pub, where a more recent house, No 419 Broad Lane, now stands. At that time the only buildings between Banner Lane and Jobs Lane were Kendels Farm, The Elms and The Firs smallholdings and the pub. A pub in this situation would have been a resort for the population of the nearby suburbs of Coventry, particularly on a Sunday.

In 1861 Joseph Sumner is a shoemaker and publican at the HAWTHORN TREE and by 1871 just a beerhouse keeper at the Hawthorn Tree

In 1937 the Hawthorn Tree was demolished and the new pub with the same name built on the opposite corner of Hawthorn Lane and Broad Lane.

Known Licensees at the HAWTHORN TREE are;
1900 - 1908 Joseph Sumner ( Summers )
1910 - 1913 A Bailey
1921 - 1922 T. E. Andrew

1923 - 1927 Annie Bailey
1928 - 1932 C. S. Coulson
1932 - 1938 A. C. Chattaway
1938 - 1940 W. Southall
1940 William Speed
1947 Geoffrey Stafford Nelson
1949 - 1956 Neville Abel
1959 Frederick Truelove
1975 - 1982 Jim & Linda Crawford

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE, Broad Lane are;
1861 - 1900 Joseph Sumner

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE, Tile Hill are;
1924 Frank Chattaway

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.