title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.


This is the WHITE LION INN, Walsgrave Road, which first appears in 1850 with David Harris as licensee. The White Lion is a heraldic reference to Edward IV, or the Earls of March or Duke of Norfolk.

In 1713 the CCP shows that a fine was given for 'Non repair of ye Causey lying between ye White Lyon and Stoak Lane.'

Included in an abstract relating to the title of John Johnson dated 1731 there is a reference to'...(a) a cottage used as the WHITE LION inn at the eastern end of Gosford St, near Gosford Green.'

From 1841 this was the Beerhouse, Gosford Terrace under David Harris

This was a prominent three-storey building facing Gosford Green, which was the site of the challenge between the Duke of Norfolk and the Duke of Hereford (later Henry IV) for which both were banished.

Apparently, the stretch of Walsgrave Road North of Gosford Green was called Gosford Terrace in 1851
Known Licensees are;
1841 David Harris

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.