title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 18 CHURCH END, STOKE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES WALSGRAVE ROAD
THIS BECAME ROSE AND CROWN INN

Fellows was very much a Stoke surname. In the 1861 and 1871 census there were two John Fellows in Stoke, John Fellows, 34 in 1871, a labourer and John Fellows, 64 in 1871, a silk weaver.

From 1868 to 1876 this was the BEERHOUSE, Stoke. In 1925 the license was surrendered in consideration of the removal of the license of the Oddfellows Arms in Bond Street to the new Rose and Crown, Stoke, which opened on 21st February 1925. The old pub was some distance from the present one (which is now opposite what was then St Chad's, and is now St Michaels Church) and is now a parade of shops.

Known Licensees are; 1903 - 1913 J. Fellows
Interesting that a J. Fellows Jnr was the licensee of the Public House from 1892 - 1913
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.