title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS LONGFORD

in the 1841 census Ann Cox was 40 and ran a beer house in Longford. Her son was Thomas, aged 5. The husband was absent. By the 1851 census Ann Cox was 52, a weaver of silk in Longford and her son, Thomas, 16, a weaver of silk also. In 1861 Thomas Cox was 26, a ribbon weaver in Woodshires Green whilst Ann Cox was 62 and a silk winder at Oxford Canal Bridge West Side.

Between 1850 and 1868 Ann Cox was the licensee of the Herford Arms, otherwise the Beerhouse, Hertford Place.

The Coxs seem to have specialised in beerhouses, as William Cox kept the beerhouse, Junction Street, Butts in 1841 and Edwin (or Edmund) Cox the Beerhouse, Tile Hill, otherwise the Peeping Tom at Burton Green, from 1908 to 1912. From 1861 to 1863 Elizabeth Cox kept the Rose in West Orchard and in 1871 James L. Cox kept the New Inn in Craven Street, non of which helps identify this beerhouse!

Licensees
1841 Ann Cox
1845 - 1850 Thomas Cox

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.