Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
PRIMROSE HILL TERRACE. As seen on the map above, Primrose Terrace (no 'Hill' included) was the name for a group of houses with a wide paved/terraced area that were actually on Paynes Lane, just around the corner.
49 EAST STREET, HARNALL FIELDS
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
In the 1841 census Joseph Shilton is 30 and a beer house keeper in Paynes Lane. By 1851 he is 42 and a licensed victualler in East Street. In 1861 he is 52 and a retired victualler at 5 Byron Place, Stoney Stanton Roiad. In 1871 there are no matching records.
This premises had a public house license from c1849