title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 8 CROSS STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1853 1874 JUNCTION ARMS, Junction Street
1874 c1880 BEERHOUSE, Junction Street
c1881 1896 VINE COTTAGE, 8 Cross St
1896 1913 BEERHOUSE, 8 Cross St
1924 1932 VINE INN, 8 Cross St
1932 c1940 VINE COTTAGE, 8 Cross St

This pub name changed when Junction Street became Vine Street in 1879, it closed shortly afterwards and became a private dwelling. Meanwhile, the Landlord Henry Francis moved, as did the name of the pub, to a new pub at No.8 Cross Street in 1881.

It had an on-beerhouse license from 1896 to 1913

From 1924 to 1932 it is listed as just the ' VINE INN '. the pub continued to trade as the VINE COTTAGE until c1940.

Known Licensees BEERHOUSE, 8 Cross Street are;
1896 - 1905 Mrs Sarah Francis
1911 - 1913 Frank Poole

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.