title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo
ADDRESS 23 CASTLE STREET, HILLFIELDS
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HIGH STREET, HILLFIELDS
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1829 1841 ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
1841 1851 BEERHOUSE
1861 1879 CASTLE
1879 1965 ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
To 1841 this was a BEERHOUSE. From 1868 to 1879 it was known as the CASTLE, and later the ELEPHANT AND CASTLE The pub closed c1965, when it was an Atkinsons pub. It stood next to the Castle Stores.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 John Sidwell

Known Licensees at the CASTLE are;
1861 - 1868 Richard Charnock
1874 H. M. Jackson
1879 Joseph Ashley

Known Licensees at the ELEPHANT & CASTLE are;
1829 David Rowbotham
1841 John Sidwell
1845 J. Kitson
1850 - 1851 William Coleman
1868 - 1874 Richard Charnock
1881 J. Ashley
1890 - 1913 Thomas W. Bates
1919 - 1936 Henry Herbert Bates
1937 - 1938 W. J. Neville
1939 - 1940 T. A. Bayley

photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.