title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS COURTHOUSE GREEN
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 305-307 ARMFILED ROAD
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1781 1820 FLEECE, Foleshill
1801 c1994 GOLDEN FLEECE, GOLDEN FLEECE HOTEL,
1845 BEERHOUSE, Courthouse Green
1876 BEERHOUSE, Hall Green

From 1879 to 1880 William Ball is at the Golden Fleece and in 1888 Mrs Selina Ball is running it, so this is the Beerhouse referred to here.

it is a public house from 1841 to c1994

The Golden Fleece closed c1994 and has been replaced by a housing estate.

Known Licensees at the GOLDEN FLEECE are;
1841 William Hewitt

  Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE, Courthouse Green are;
1845 John Bradford
1850 - 1866 John Bradford
1868 - 1871 John ( Joseph ) Chandler
1874 - 1876 James Bunn
 
  Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE, Hall Green are;
1876 William Ball
1879 - 1880 William Ball
1888 Mrs Selina Ball
1892 - 1904 Joseph Eaton
1908 - 1924 Albert Edgar Makepeace
1931 - 1934 J. Stafford
1935 - 1936 A. J. Bolsbridge
1937 - 1938 W. Lomas
1939 - 1940 A. H. Webb
1960 L. H. Spear & Sidney Cook
1961 - 1962 Sidney Cook
 
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.