title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 29 Eden Street, Paradise
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES Paradise, Stoney Stanton Road, Old Yard
THIS BECAME ADAM AND EVE
From 1841 to 1850, this pub was recorded as The Beerhouse, Paradise. However, it was asserted to have been in existence by 1830 in a newspaper article of 1961.

In the 1841 census Samuel Gore is 55 and a ribbon weaver in Pardise Row. In 1851 he is 69 and a single hand weaver of silk in Paradise. By 1861 he is 79 and a silk weaver of ribbons at Old Yard, Foleshill. In 1841 Joseph Hilton is 50 and a ribbon maker in Stoney Stanton Road. In 1851 he is 62 and a silk winder at New Road, Foleshill. The name must be associated with the street and area name, although Adam and Eve are the arms of the Fruiterers Company. Around 1930 the brewery bought the three cottages adjoining the pub and added them to it. In 1991 it was purchased from Mitchells and Butlers by Charles Wells and extensively renovated.
Known Licensees are;
1841 - 1845 Samuel Gore
1850 Joseph Hilton
map

Research

1841 Pigot Samuel Gore Foleshill
1845 Kelly Samuel Gore Paradise Lane
1850 Kelly Joseph Hilton Paradise



Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.