title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 24 CROMWELL STREET, RED LANE
THIS BECAME BRICKLAYERS ARMS

A premises that appears to have had a publichouse license from 1879 to 1893 and then a beerhouse license 1896 to 1913, followed by a public house license until today. It was a home brew pub till c1920. the 1879 entry is a bit of a guess.

In the 1841 census John Lowe is the 9 year old son of Benjamin Lowe. The Lowe family are living with the Quinney family in Red House Road. By 1851 John Lowe had become a hand loom weaver in silk in Red House Road. Then in 1861 he is a silk weaver in Cromwell Road and in 1871 becoming a baker and grocer. This premises had a license by 1879 and seems to have become the Bricklayers Arms.

Known Licensees are;
1879 John Lowe & baker & grocer
1896 Mrs M. Aiers
1903 Amos Aiers
1905 George Sidwell
1911 - 1913 Mrs R. A. Sidwell
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.