title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS FOLESHILL

In the 1841 census Daniel Cotton is 35, a ribbon manufacturer.

There are a number of Cottons active in Coventry in the nineteenth century;
1896 William Cotton at the Crystal Palace
1893 - 1896 Joseph Cotton at the Fox, Cook Street
1895 - 1908 Mark Cotton at the Rose & Crown, Hall Green
1894 - 1896 Joseph Cotton at the Rose & Crown, High Street

The most interesting records are of the Royal Oak in Stoney Stanton Road in the early twentieth century;
1904 - 1913 John Cotton
1921 - 1924 Henry Cotton
1926 - 1927 Mrs S. Cotton
though these dates are too late to be able to say that this Beerhouse was the Royal Oak

Known Licensees are;
1835 Daniel Cotton

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.