title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS COURTHOUSE GREEN
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 237 BELL GREEN ROAD
THIS BECAME WEAVERS ARMS

In the 1841 and 1851 census John Birch is a ribbon weaver and hand loom weaver silk in Courthouse Green, with his wife, Mary. In the 1861 census Mary Birch is now a widow and a victualler at the Weavers Arms. In 1871 she is called a beer house keeper at the Weavers Arms. By 174 the beer house keeper is William Harrison.

Despite the last beerhouse entry being 1888 this does not appear in directories as a public house until 1929. Curious !

Known Licensees are;
1861 - 1871 Mrs Mary Birch
1874 - 1888 William Harrison

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.