title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo

The Black Dog, Whitefriars Street c1960. The Black Dog ceased to be a pub in 1923. To the right of it was another pair of weavers houses with an entry in-between which led to Court No3 (see below). Note the gratings in front of each house which suggest they were all built with coal cellars. Thanks to The Dutchman for the photo.

ADDRESS WHITEFRIARS LANE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1835 1850 BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Street
BEERHOUSE, Whitefriars Lane
1850 1919 BLACK DOG, Whitefriars Street
BLACK DOVE
In the 1841 census Joseph edwards, 45, is a ribbon weaver journeyman at the Black Dog, Whitefriars Street. In 1851 he is 54 and a licensed victualler and weaver in White Friars Street. By 1861 he is 64 and a licensed victualler out of business at 46 Craven Street.

Known licenses at the BEERHOUSE are;
1850 - 1851 Joseph Edwards

Known licenses at the BLACK DOG/DOVE are;
1861 William Brain
1866 Thomas Bates
1866 William Standbridge
1868 Thomas Townsend
1871 Anna Maria Townsend
1874 - 1894 Walter Chatland
1896 Joseph H. Lawton
1903 H. Stringer
1905 J. Lathbury
1909 F. Jackson
1911 - 1912 John W. Dutson
1912 - 1913 C. Jenkyns
1919 Emily Martin ( Inn, No 40 )

map
+ -
Click here to see Research

LICENSEES

1835 Pigot Joseph Edwards

1841 Pigot Joseph Edwards

1850 Lascelles Joseph Edwards

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.