title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 75 SPON STREET
THIS WAS VICTORIA VAULTS, SPOTTED DOG.
THIS BECAME MELBOURNE HOTEL, MELBOURNE GARDENS in 1907, GRANBY ARMS in 1909, BOWLING GREEN INN in 1910 and NEW BOWLER in 2002

Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.

Henry Brown was a brewer at the Spon Street Brewery and also a wine and spirit merchant

This pub is said to have been built originally in c1829 as the Victoria Vaults, then becoming the Spotted Dog. It became the Board in 1868. Later named the Melborne Hotel in 1879, the Melbourne Gardens in 1907, the Granby Arms in 1909, and the Bowling Green Inn in 1910. The bowling green was sold and the old people's accommodation called Wellington Gardens was erected on its site. The pub was demolished and replaced with a new building in 1959, later named the New Bowler in 2002.

Known licensees
1864 - 1871 Henry Brown Brewery & spirit merchant

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.