title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.


Board means 'to board intoxicating liquor'. In some cases the need for a premises to have 'a board' , that is a sign board, suggested this name as some places did in fact display a blank board. However, in this case, the Board identified a person sellling beer from their home; in other words a beerhouse under the 1839 Beerhouse Act, the real origin of the 'public house'.

Between 1868 and 1896 there is a gap whilst it was a wine merchants. It was closed in 1930 upon the payment of compensation. The licensee between 1913 and 1922, John William Gudge Slade (' Bill '), was a bricklayer and was appointed to the executive committee of the Coventry City Supporters' Club in 1921. He was later given the surprise opportunity to take temporary control of the team after the sacking of manager James McIntyre in February 1931. After a brief stint in charge Bill must have got the taste for managership as in 1932 he became manager of Walsall. In January 1932 he steered the side to one of the F.A. Cup's greatest giant killings when Walsall beat the mighty Arsenal 2 - 0. He died in 1975 aged 90 years.
Known Licensees are;
1861 - 1868 Ann Hughes Wine & spirit dealer
1868 - 1871 Andrew Hughes Wine merchant
1896 Walter Tatlow
1903 - 1909 Oliver Tatlow
1911 - 1913 Gilbert Morgan
1913 - 1922 John William Gudge Slade
1924 - 1929 W. Roberts
1932 J. B. Timerick

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.