title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo
ADDRESS 43 SMITHFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1570 1750 CROSS KEYS, Smithford Street
1671 BLACK HORSE
1756 FLOWER DE LUCE AND CROWN, High Street
1795 1926 FLEUR DE LYS, Smithford Street
1822 1823 CROWN AND FLEUR DE LIS
1835 1835 BEERHOUSE

In the 1841 census john Bailey is 39 and a victualler in Smithford Street. In 1851 he is 49 and a licensed victualler employing two in Smithford Street. In 1861 he is 50 and a licensed victualler at the Fleur de Lis, 43 Smithford Street, whilst in 1871 there are no matching records.

This pub dates to the eighteenth century and to 1835 was the BEERHOUSE.

This had a public house license from 1841.

Known Licensees are;
1835 John Bailey
Owners;
Map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.