title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo

Smithford Street 1939

ADDRESS 9 SMITHFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
? ? BEERHOUSE
1868 1871 BOARD
1871 LIQUOR VAULTS
1879 1896 CITY VAULTS
1903 1912 CLARENCE HOTEL

Until 1868 it was the BOARD/LIQUOR VAULTS.

From 1868 it was the CITY VAULTS and must have got its name from its central city location, until it was renamed CLARENCE in 1903. The Duke of Clarence was William IV before he became King. He had a short naval career and took his seat in the House of Lords as Duke of Clarence. Some Clarence signs show the four wheeled carriage which was named after him.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1868 A Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse
1871 James Colley Spirit merchant

Known Licensees at the BOARD are;
1868 Andrew Sumner Wholesale spirit & wine warehouse
1871 James Colley Spirit merchant

Known Licensees at the LIQUOR VAULTS are;
1871 James Colley

Known Licensees for the CITY VAULTS are;
1879 Thomas Ball
1881 E. Barfoot
1886 R. Neil
1890 - 1893 G. H. Bamford
1894 C. H. Wells
1896 John Fenn

Known Licensees for the CLARENCE HOTEL are;
1903 - 1909 H. Wright
1911 - 1912 William Eggington

map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.