title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 73 MUCH PARK STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS 1 WHITEFRIARS STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1793 1960 WHITE FRIAR INN, 1 Whitefriars Street
1835 1850 BEERHOUSE, 73 Much Park Street

To 1835 this was the BEERHOUSE, Much Park Street. Until around 1935 it was a home-brew pub.

In the 1841 census William Reading, 30, is a stone mason in Much Park Street. In 1851 he is 42 and a stone mason, but by 1861 he is 54 and a publican at the Whitefriar, Much park Street. In 1871 he is a victualler and cow keeper at the Whitefriar.

The White Friar Inn closed in 1960 and was demolished on 21st December 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring road. 

Known Licensees are; 1835 - 1850 William Reading. 
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.