title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 64 GREYFRIARS LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES WARWICK LANE
THIS BECAME RED LION and later GREYFRIARS INN.

in 1534 this property was owned by Pisford's Charity, otherwise Ford's Hospital. It is again mentioned in 1576 and in 1655 Mayor Beake issued a warrant against the ostler at the Red Lion for tippling (that is serving alcohol) on a Sunday. In 1708 it is still owned by Pisford's Charity.

In 1774 an unfortunate accident happened when the landlord, his wife and another woman were all killed by the falliing-in of an upper chamber which was overloaded with grain used in brewing. In c1775 the Red Lion was owned by T. Dullison and adjoined the Turks Head, Warwick Lane.

In 1818 there was a lease of the pub and a malthouse, both on the north west side of Greyfriars Lane. In 1835 it was a BEERHOUSE. J. B. Shelton says that it was at the rear of the Queens Hotel and that Nos 64 and 65 Greyfriars Lane were joined to become the GREYFRIARS INN.

Licensees
1822 - 1823 W. Walker
1835 Charles Price
1841 Samuel Gardner
1850 William Lovatt
1861 Samuel Hunt
1868 - 1871 James Hatton
1874 H. Kemp
Owners
1818 J. Miller, H. Miller & W. Farnell
1823 T. Hayes
c1823 Joseph Hayes
to 1834 Miss E. Hayes
1834 R. Mallabone & E. Mallabone (marriage)
1877 J. S. Whittem (or J. S. Sibley?)

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.