title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS 1 COW LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES GREYFRIARS LANE, UNION STREET
THIS BECAME HARE AND SQUIRREL

In 1835 this was the BEERHOUSE, Cow Lane.

In early 1765 Thomas Edawrd and John Green, both of Stoneleigh, were in the pub after attending market day in Coventry. They entered at 10 o'clock and they spent about two hours in the company of two dragoons, John Floor of Stoneleigh and the innkeeper's servants, Richard and John Spencer. When they left they walked back towards Stoneleigh, but having reached Canley were set upon and robbed. Edwards was killed. The two dragoons, along with a wever, Thomas Moses, were found guilty of the murder and later hanged on Gibbett Hill.

The original Hare and Squirrel stood in the midst of what was medaeval Coventry, an ancient timbered building surrounded by orchards and with plenty of stabling to the rear. In the late 1920's the original pub was demolished and on doing so sandstone walls were found. These were interpreted as a part of a chapel belonging to Greyfriars Monastery. The new pub opened in 1931.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 J. Graham
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.