title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo

Images from the Trinity Lodge website

ADDRESS 9 BULL RING
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BUTCHER ROW, IRONMONGER ROW
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1755 1835 GOLDEN LION
1835 1841 BEERHOUSE, 9 Bull Ring
1841 1935 GOLDEN LION

This had a full public house license from 1822 to closure c1934, so it held a beerhouse license for a short while after the Beer Act was passed in 1830.

In the 1841 census David Burrows is a publican at Butcher Row but in 1861 he is a retail brewer in Derby Lane, with his daughter, Anne, a barmaid

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1835 - 1841 David Burrows

Known Licensees at the GOLDEN LION are;
1822 - 1841 David ( Richard ) Burrows
1841 - 1851 John Shillcock
1861 - 1868 Thomas Goode
1871 Thomas H. Beecroft
1874 - 1876 David Smith
1879 - 1894 James Hegan
1896 Frank Morgan
1903 - 1905 William Lamb
1909 - 1913 R. McGregor
1919 - 1934 Leonard Beaver
1935 - 1936 R. Spicer

golden lion

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.