title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

photo
NAME WHITE LION
ADDRESS WALL HILL ROAD, BROWNSHILL GREEN
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1900 1912 BEERHOUSE.
1930s present WHITE LION

This is a heraldic reference to Edward IV, or the Earls of March or Duke of Norfolk. In 1899 this property was leased for 7 years by Phillips and Marriott for £30 per annum from J. Minstrell, Devonshire Villa, Nottingham, Eltham, Kent (from 1910 of Bore Place, Chiddingstone, Nr. Edenbridge, Kent ). In 1905 they leased it for another 14 years and in 1919 for another 7 years

In 1900 and 1908 it was the BEERHOUSE, COUNDON.

This was originally a Victorian cottage called The Laurels. For the early years it only had an off-beerhouse license with beer served from the back of the house. It is thought to have become a pub in the 1930's when a small room at the rear was opened to the public. In recent years the whole ground floor had been given over to the pub.

Known Licensees are;
1900 - 1904 Elijah William Sanders & collector of rates & taxed
1908 - 1912 Charles Plant Catlin
,
Owners;
1899 - 1919 J. Minstrell

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.