title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

Beerhouse

ADDRESS ALDERMANS GREEN

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1783 1874 HOLLY BUSH INN
1880 1900 BEERHOUSE, Jackers Road (or Jackass Lane)
1874 1912 BEERHOUSE, Aldermans Green

In the 1871 census Jem Clay is a piblican and silk weaver and by the 1874 Whites directory he is a beer house keeper and shopkeeper. This property was recorded just once amongst public houses, in 1879. This is the only time the name 'Holly Bush' is recorded. The public house listing was probably a mistake as it existed from 1874 to 1912 as a beerhouse, when it appears to have closed.

Known Licensees at the HOLLY BUSH INN are;
1861 Susannah Barson beerhouse keeper (See also at Beerhouse, Aldermans Green in 1845)
1879 James Clay

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE Jackers Lane are;
1880 - 1900 Jem Clay

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE Aldermans Green are;
1874 - 1900 Jem Clay & shopkeeper
1904 - 1912 Mrs Elizabeth Ann Clay

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.